Wine/Chardonnay grapes

Question
Hello Joshua,

The definition of Chardonnay has been said to be 'a place where thistles grow'. Do thistles actually grow on the vines of Chardonnay grapes? And if not, where would they be located? (Unable to visit wine country and see for myself at this time-ha!ha!)

Thank you for the info.

Rich

Answer
Rich,

The name for the grape Chardonnay comes from the village of Chardonnay in the Maconnais region of France (which is in Burgundy where the grapes derives). It is a derivative of Cardonnacum, a Latin term to denote an area with thistles. This "area with thistles" describes the region not the grapes or the grape vines. Thistles grow in a lot of places but I haven't noticed them particularly around any Chardonnay vines that I've seen.

Wine

Joshua Farrell