Wine/Old wine

Question
Spanish wine
Spanish wine  
I can't find anything on this wine, can you help? Thanks

Answer
Hi Bogdan

This is quite a relic.  Haro is in the heart of Rioja in Spain, where the white wines are made from a grape called Viura.  That's not Riesling, which is what is says on this label.  And the bottle is a very odd shape for Rioja.  They normally use the traditional Bordeaux bottle.

So this is a wine from 1959, dur9in ghte Franco era, made from white grapes, probably Viura, and labeled as Riesling in the hopes of selling more.   I love the fact that the label calls it Spanish Riesling--there is no such thing!

It is completely over the hill--the color is a dark yellow/orange which indicates that the wine is well past its prime.  The bottle itself might be a bit of a collectors item for people who love oddities like this, but the wine inside is not of any value, either to collectors or connoisseurs.

If it were mine I would not open it.  I'd just save it and show it off to people as a curiosity.

Sorry that I can't give you better news.

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner