Da Silva Port
Da Silva Port  
You did a review on a similar port from this vintner back in 2006. This bottle reads C.Da Silva Porto house reserve, 1944 port. The bottle is green glass with a parchment colored label (shape of a scroll) with red and black lettering. Appears to be in good shape. I'd appreciate any updated info on same.

many thanks

Hi Al,

I didn't keep a copy of the answer you refer to so I can't update it - but I'd be surprised if much has changed since 2006. Anyway, starting afresh:

Da Silva, or Dalva as they are known in some countries, is a well-known producer of aged Tawnies from a single vintage or 'Colheitas' in Portspeak.

This style is popular with many Port enthusiasts although my personal preference is for the greater power and fruitiness of a good Vintage Port v. the subtlety of an aged Tawny.

You don't say if you have it in mind to sell this bottle but Wine Gavel ( should be able to help if you do. Value would depend on profesional appraisal of the bottle in terms of level, label, capsule and color but we're talking well into three figures USD.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.