Wine/Ruinart Pere & Fils champagne

Question
bottle
bottle  
We live in England. Found this old bottle of champagne - should we drink it, bin it or try and sell it. Bottle looks full, label states Cart Anglais Vintage 1959. Have attached photo so you can see label etc. Labels & foil are fully intact & in good condition.  Thanks for your time and advice.

Answer
Hi Pete,

Old Champagnes are always a gamble but a bottle from documented professional storage could have considerable value - well into 3 figures GBP - as 1959 was a famous Champagne vintage. But 'found' doesn't suggest to me that that would apply here.

I wouldn't bin it though without considering:

It might be worth asking Bid for wine (http://www.bidforwine.co.uk/) for their professional opinion of this as a potential entry into their on-line auction system, but I'm afraid they may decline it if you cannot prove its provenance.

If that were the case, your options would be to try a local auctioneer like Bigwood's in Stratford-upon-Avon (http://www.bigwoodauctioneers.com/) that accepts old oddments but wouldn't be likely to achieve as high a price, or to open it, hoping that luck is on your side.

It MIGHT be a memorable experience, but I'm afraid it may have declined so far that you won't want to finish the bottle.

Good luck!

David
.

Wine

David Ling