Wine/Valuation of a French wine I've never heard of.

Question
Hello, Mr. Ling;

I have a bottle of Chateau Beton, 1981, Appellation Graves controlee.The label also says 'Mise en bolteilles au chateau', J.Depiot, Protrietaire a Saint-Morillon (Gironde), Produce of France. It includes an additional circular sticker reading '1985 Medaille de Bronze' in the center, with '-concours national des grands vins de france -en blayais bourgeais-' around the outer edge. Label is also signed by (I believe) Depiot on the right edge of the label, next to the words Chateau Beton. Any valuation help you can give me, including whether the wine is drinkable, would be appreciated! I have stored it in my basement here in Sacramento, California (USA) for (obviously) several years. Cheers! Linda I have tried to include photos, to no avail.

Answer
Hi Linda,

I don't think you'd be able to sell this lawfully in the US as the potential value would fall short of auctioneers' minimum thresholds; so it's effectively worthless I'm afraid.

I can't tell you anything about the wine as Ch Beton isn't listed in any of my reference books, which suggests its probably a 'BOB', or Buyer's Own Brand, a made-up name chosen by the importers to add perceived status to a low-cost wine sourced from a co-operative.

David
.  

Wine

David Ling