Wine/Value of Champagne

Hi there

I have a bottle of 1953 Louis Roederer 'Reserve for Great Britain' extra dry champagne, I was just wondering how much approximately this would be worth?  Also, how should it drink if opened now?

It is in near mint condition.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi James,

I'm afraid this is very difficult to value as all 1953 Champagnes have long gone from UK retailers so I have no benchmark to guide me.

You probably realise that this is now very old indeed, even for a Champagne of Roederer's quality, so there's a distinct element of risk that might concern potential buyers if you were to offer it for sale at auction. However Bid for Wine ( might be able to help.

Personally, I'd drink it for the experience.

IF, and it's a big if, the wine has held up and doesn't seem flat or to have developed an unpleasant aroma, it will probably be sweeter than you might expect from 'Extra Dry' as these are less dry than the more-commonplace Bruts.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.