Wine/vintage S.A. wine potential values

Question
Dear Paul,

I would be grateful if you could give me some idea what the following vintage wines would fetch to a collector ?

Nederburg Selected Cabernet 1970.

Backsberg Selected Paarl Valley Cabernet 1973.

Fleur Du Cap Pinotage 1980.

Nederburg Paarl Cabernet Sauvignon 1980.

All the wines are probably corked.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bruce Macdonald

Home tel : 021 - 7881106
Cell : 0826006998

Answer
Hi Bruce

I am not sure I am the best person to answer this question for you. Since I am based in the USA, I know more about current values in the US market, and these wines would not bring top dollar here.  South African wines are not seen as collectible, and their values lag far behind similar wines from Napa and Bordeaux.  I don't believe that any of these wines would surpass $50 US in this market. Note that these prices would not be the same as at a charity auction, where the prices are always much higher---because the bidders are supporting a good cause.

I have seen bottles of the Nederburg priced at under $35 a bottle, and the others are probably similarly valued here in the US.

And I think you mean that all of the bottles are properly corked and stored...if they are "corked" meaning spoiled, they won't have any value at all!

It's quite possible that these wine might sell for more in RSA, but i don't have experience with that.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner