Wine/re: wine bottle

Question
Wine bottle
Wine bottle  
Label
Label  
QUESTION: Dear Sir,   Thank you for the opportunity to ask questions and thank you for your time.
  We have this empty wine bottle that is 13 inches tall and has the label  "Italia"  marchio Nazionale,  along with a number:  0  94663. It also bears an additional sticker, "Marine Corps  2001518.  And the final label on the lower back " Sole U.S.A. Agentis; Mediterranean Importing Co. Inc.  Long Island City, New York.  
Other than it being made in Italy we know nothing about it.  We are interested to know how it got the Marine Corps sticker and what the bottle is made of. We would be thankful for any information and all of your help.

ANSWER: Hi TG

I wish that your photo included more of the bottle!  The shape of the bottle, and the rest of the label, could tell us a lot more about the wine.

What I can tell you is that this is a bottle of Italian wine that was probably sold through the PX system at a Marine base. It's a white wine, and it is almost certainly well past its prime.  But that's about all I can tell you from the information at hand.

If you can get a better picture of the label and bottle, or decypher more of the words on the label, I can give you more information.

Paul Wagner

WINE BOTTLE
WINE BOTTLE  

SECOND PHOTO
SECOND PHOTO  
QUESTION: Dear Sir,  Thank you for the reply.   The round label "ITALIA"  Marchio Nazionale  with the letters TNE  in the center.   Part of the wrap-around label "To Be Served Chilled" producers in Italy" with a twist type corkscrew picture;    numbers  (red) 0  (black) 94663;  and it looks like  " Extra Dry(Fine) White Wine     Bottled by the.......  pictured is another type of corkscrew; "SOLE U..S.A. AGENTS"   Mediterranean Importing Co. Inc. Long Island City, New York.  And the "MARINE CORPS 2001118".  That is all of the lables available.  It still has gold paper wrapped around the neck of the bottle.  The image on the front has "Titvlvs but I didn't think it important.  I am including 2 new pictures of the bottle.  
Thank you again.   TGM

Answer
Hi TG

Excellent!  Those photos help a lot.  This was a Verdicchio--a white wine from the center of Italy.  Verdicchio is a yellow-green grape variety from central Italy responsible for making dry wines of the same color. The variety has been used here for many centuries, and its use has been documented in the Marche region since the 14th Century.

As noted before, this one is certainly well past its prime.  Verdicchio is really best when it is consumed within a few years of the harvest.  The region is now a DOCG--the highest quality rating in Italy--and sparkling wines and dessert wines from these grapes as well.  

I hope that gives you a bit more information!

Paul Wagner

Wine

Paul Wagner