Wine/Wine Info/Value Request

Question
Bottle
Bottle  

Etched Label
Etched Label  
Mr. Wegner:

I have a bottle of Sebastiani Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon, vintage 1993. It's a double magnum bottle with a hand painted and etched label, and came wrapped in black tissue paper in a wooden box with the Sebastiani name and some pencil written code on the lid. I won this in a contest from a local liquor store 20 years ago and they told me at the time the approx retail value was $200. I cannot find anything about it on the Internet and a manager I spoke with at the Sebastiani winery said the double magnum hand painted/etched bottle was very interesting, and he asked me to send pictures for their review and comment. I'd greatly appreciate any information you can provide on this item including your opinion as to the value. I've attached images for your perusal, and, if pertinent, I reside in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Thank you very much for your time and comment.

Answer
HI Jeff

I don't have great news for you. While the winery was making some really nice wines back then, they have not become collectible the way some other Sonoma COunty producers have.  And their current wines sell for far less than the top wines in Sonoma.  

I am not sure that the suggested retail when you won it is really accurate, either.  I've seen these for sale for around $50, and while the etched label is beautiful, it doesn't really add much to the wine itself.  Most connoisseurs would prefer to buy a regular bottle, rather than pay an extra premium for the etching.

My guess? If you put this up for auction it would sell for less than $100.  The Cherryblock Cabernet, which was the best wine from Sebastiani in those days, would cost more than this one.

But that's not to say that this isn't delicious wine.  If you've stored it properly it should be drinking really nicely about now...and would make a wonderful bottle to open for a special occasion.

Hope that helps.  I am sorry that I can't give you more exciting news

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner