Wine/1983 Somlo Ausbruch

Somlo  1983 Muskat-Ottonel Ausbruch

This wine belonged to an old Hungarian who said that it was only available outside Hungary & very expensive. He had been keeping it for a very special occasion but died in the meantime.

Hi John,

I'm afraid it's difficult to see any value here for three reasons:

Firstly, this is now very old for what it is.

Secondly, it was made just before it was revealed that Austrian wine makers had been adulterating bulk wines to enhance their sweetness, see

Thirdly, it was bottled by the Pieroth party-plan marketing company based in Germany that doesn't enjoy a good reputation with wine enthusiasts seeking value because its prices for commercial wine blends are enhanced to provide a profit margin for their sales agents.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.