Wine/Berisford Sherry

Question
My wife has come across a bottle of sherry from her late mother's house.  It is labelled :
"Berisford Solera 1914 - Sherry
Rare Pale Cream
drawn from our own Solera established 1914
Reserva Privada
Bottle No 35803"

Given that it is a numbered bottle, we thought it might not be a good idea to use it in the sherry trifle without first trying to find out a little about it!

We are based in Worcestershire, and should be obliged by any advice you can offer

Answer
Hi Adrian,

Solera Sherries do have a following in the UK but it's difficult to suggest a value for one your wife 'came across' as much depends on how well it had been stored. (Lying down in a cool dark place would be good; anything else, less so).

The condition of the bottle in terms of level, label and capsule is also important but IF you feel the bottle is pristine it might be worth asking J Straker Chadwick's in Abergavenny (http://www.strakerchadwick.co.uk/) if they'd be willing to arrange for one of their appraisers to call by appointment to suggest a catalogue valuation as a potential auction lot.

They may decline if they feel the potential value wouldn't reach their minimum value threshold but there's no harm asking.

I wouldn't be surprised if it finds its way into the trifle but good luck!

David  

Wine

David Ling