Wine/Bernkasteler Kurfurstlay

Question
QUESTION: My dad has a bottle of '83 Peter Mertes Bernkasteler Kurfurstlay spatlese that has been kept pretty much at 60 degrees on it's side for the past 30 odd years.  He wants to give it to a charity auction and we were curious about it's valuation/drinkability.  The wine was bought in Cleveland,imported by Francis A. Bonanno inc of Miamisburg, Oh.

ANSWER: Chris,
That's acgood not great German wine from an excellent vintage. Ideally it would have been drunk 10 or more years ago. It may still be drinkable, hard to say since a spatlese does not have the high sugar content that an auslese or beerenauslese have to help preserve it. Value might be $20-$40 in pristine condition.

QUESTION: Thanks!  Would you mind recommending a good pairing for this style of wine would it be good drinking?

Answer
Generally a Mosel Spatlese like that is great paired with rich, tangy or slightly sweet foods. German wursts in saurkraut is the classic, but also smoked trout or salmon as well as many Asian dishes like pad thai. Fried foods can aslo work if they're not too heavy, back to Gernany with wienerschnitzel.  

Wine

Joshua Farrell