Wine/Bolinger tradition, 1973, royal wedding

Question
I bought one of these after the wedding from my Provincial vintages store (ontario, canada), plroperly stored over the years,would the quality still be good? What might it be worth at auction? Many thanks in advance.
DL

Answer
Hi Danny

Even the best Champagnes begin to show their age after about twenty-five years, and this one is well past that point.  It might still have some charm, but the bubbles will have begun to disappear, and the bright flavors will now be a bit tired and faded.  It should have some rich notes of hazelnut and toast, but maybe not much fruit left.

Because of its age, it won't attract quite the same interest among connoisseurs and collectors, and I doubt it would sell for much more than $200, if you were lucky enough to get that.  Sadly, even though your storage was excellent--you have no way of proving that to a potential buyer, and at this point the risks are great,

Sorry that I don't have better news for you, If it were mine, I would chill it down and serve it on a special occasion--and I would have a backup bottle on hand, just in case.

Paul Wagner

Wine

Paul Wagner