Wine/champagne

Question
dear david i have a bottle of reims taittinger comtes de champagne blanc de blances 1959 extra dry in perfect condtion which was my grandmothers and has been lying down flat in her cellar since i was a kid she has now passed on and it is mine to keep, i have not removed it just left it until i found out more about it, do you think that it would be worth anything now. regards colin.

Answer
Hi Colin,

This is a very fine de luxe Champagne from a famous vintage that would have been easy to sell at well into three figures GBP in it's prime but unfortunately that point was some 25 years ago so any potential buyer now would need to be a gambler too.

If the bottle seems pristine in terms of level, label, capsule and colour, it might just be worth asking J Straker Chadwick's in Abergavenny (http://www.strakerchadwick.co.uk/) if they'd be willing to arrange for one of their appraisers to call by appointment next time they have anyone in your area.

If so, he should be able to suggest a catalogue figure as a potential entry into one of their fine wine auctions, but they may decline as it would be a single bottle lot.

Bid for Wine (http://www.bidforwine.co.uk/) might be a useful fall-back if Chadwick's can't help.

Sorry about your GM.

David
.

Wine

David Ling