Wine/1988 cuvee dom perignon

want to knoow value of this champagne unopened,in box,with paperwork.also would like to know where i would find a buyer

Hi Tony

There are a couple of different issues here:

1.  The wine is a great wine, but it is near the end of its drinkability.  Unless it has been stored in perfect conditions for the past 25 years, it is probably past its prime.

2.  As a private seller with a single bottle, it's haard for you to provee that this bottle was always in a very cool dark place.

3.  It is illegal for private citizens in the USA to sell alcoholic beverages, so you'll have to work through a retailer or auction house--and they will take a significant commission.

All of that to say that if this bottle had been stored at the winery until now, it might sell for something over $250.  But your bottle probably won't net you half of that.

If it were mine, I would chill it down and serve it to a few good friends on a special occasionm. And I would have a back up bottle on hand, in case this one was DOA.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.