Wine/1996 Pauillac Baron Nathan

Hello Paul

My friend has a bottle of this wine, 150 cl, which  states, "a wine specially blended in celebration of the bicentenary" etc. it has been stored well, not perfectly, in the original box. Can you advise me as to its value? Thank you.   John

Hi John

1996 was a good but not great year, eclipsed by 2000 and later vintages.  And Baron Nathan is not a greeat estate--its wines are not known for long life.  All that to say that this bottle is right on the edge of old age, and with questionable storage possibly over the hill.

It won't have much value at auction or among collectors, but it might still offer some charm.  If it were mine, I would pick a special occasion and open with family and friends--and I would have a backup bottle on hand just in case.

Hope that helps...

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.