Wine/Adams Old Monk Port

Question
I have a bottle of Adams Old Monk Port dated at 1954, it was given to my grandparents as a wedding gift.

The bottle has never seen sun light and i was wondering if you could give me an estimate of its value please.

I am in Nottinghamshire

Answer
Hi Matt,

Adams Old Monk Port was a brand of Tawny produced by the now defunct Dublin merchants Grierson, Oldham and Adams Ltd but I'm confused by the 1954 date as Tawnies are always blends of several vintages - unless labelled 'Port of the xxxx vintage' to indicate that they are from that year only and thus properly described as a 'Colheita'.

It seems very unlikely that they would have used the same brand name though.

Anyway, whatever the date implies, I'm afraid this is now too old to have retained a significant value. It might be worth taking to Bigwood's in Stratford-u-Avon (http://www.bigwoodauctioneers.com/) next time you're in the area as they often get good prices for old oddments.

David
.

Wine

David Ling