Wine/Approximate value

I would like to know the approximate value of a vintage 2003, 3 liter bottle of BV George de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Hi Donna

This is a lovely wine, and if it has been stored properly, it should still be in great shape.  A simple way to calculate this is that a single 750ml bottle of this wine might sell for about $100-150, and this bottle is four times that large!  Generally, these larger bottles sell for a bit more than the sum of the wine inside, so I wouldn't be surprised if you saw these on an auction site for over $650.

But that said, this is now an auction wine, and there are lots of variables.  If you wanted to sell this in the US, you would have to work through an auction house or retailer, and they would claim a significant commission.  And you would have to demonstrate that the bottle has been stored in a cool, dark place ever since it left the winery---or accept the fact that bidders are going to be wary of a bottle coming from a collector they don't know.

The biggest variable, of course, is who would be bidding.  Without the right mix, this bottle could get ignored, and fetch far less then its full value.

I hope that helps give you an idea.  If it were mine, I would either open it for a grand occasion some time in the next ten years...or perhaps donate it to a charity so that they could get full value for the bottle.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.