Wine/Bottle of Vintage port

My late father in law had a bottle of Port carefully stored away.
The condition of the label is readable.
It reads 1834 on the neck of the bottle .
The bottle label reads Ant Cael Rodrigguesg Ca.
The label also reads VINHO DO PORTO with the logo A  G
Perhaps you can identify the Port and if it is worth.

HI John

This is a complicated one.  First of all, I don't think that the wine is from 1834.  That was the year that the government monopoly on port wine production was eliminated, opening the door to the founding of many of today's port wine houses.  I would guess that your port was made by a house founded in 1834.  

That said, I think it would help if you could me a photo of the label.  None of the words you have provided are correct in Portuguese...although Ant could be a shortening of Antica, meaning old.  And Rodrigguesg could be Rodrigues--a Portuguese name that does not, however, have a lot of current connections with Port wine. And I am befuddled by Cael.  Ca could well be the abbreviation for Companhia.

Traditional Vintage Ports would have the vintage marked very clearly on the bottle in white paint, along with the shipper's name.  This was done because they were expected to age for many years, and the paper labels would almost certainly deteriorate in the cellar over that time.  

My guess is that this is a nice bottle of older Port, perhaps not vintage Port, but I can't tell you from this information how old it is.  Because it is not one of the major houses, it won't have the same value on the auction market--and single bottles from unknown collectors rarely achieve top prices at auction anyway. I hesitate to estimate a value, given the lack of concrete information.  Great older ports from famous houses fetch over 1,000 pounds a bottle--but this is not likely to meet those expectations.  Unless you can confirm more of its producer and provenance, I would think it would sell for far, far less.

If it were mine, I would save it for a special occasion and open it for family and friends.  And I would have a backup bottle on hand, just in case this one is DOA.  

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.