Wine/Old Bottle Reserva Caves do Barracão

Thank you for taking my question. I have a very old bottle of what I believe is Champagne. The lower label is gold and says Vinho Espumante Natural below that is a silver eagle with a red logo that has S.V.P.D Lda. Next is the large Reserva in scripted black letters and underneath is Caves Do Barracao. The bottom says Fogueira Portugal. There is gold foil over the top with a metal band. It's a beautiful bottle, intact, and I'd like to know if it's any good to drink, and or maybe worth something. It's been in my family for at least four generations. Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Hi Sherri,

This isn't Champagne as that only comes from the Champagne region of France but a sparkling Portuguese wine made by a company that doesn't enjoy a particularly good reputation in that country.

Sparkling wines below the level of the very top Champagnes are never made for long keeping so I'm afraid there's no possibility of pleasure from opening this after 'four generations'.

It has no value either as no merchant or auction house would be willing to help you sell a bottle of such a low potential value and it wouldn't be lawful for you to do so privately in the US.

I suggest you keep it on display as a talking point if the bottle is attractive or consider dumping it.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.