Wine/Old champagne

I have 2 bottles of Gold Crest Champagne.  Made and bottled by ROBIN FIlS & CIE, LTD.  It was from a wedding dated 11/03/1979 at a wedding.  I saved the bottles to celibate years down the road.  

What should I expect 34 years later?

It has been stored on it's side at average room temperature and in the dark for all these years.  By the way the couple got a divorce years ago.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Hi Wayne

I don't have good news for you.  Even the best Champagnes begin to show their age after twenty-five years, and this one is a lot older than that!  Nor is it one of the truly great Champagnes--or even close. I am afraid that it is now well past its prime, and won't have much interest to connoisseurs or collectors.  I doubt that you'd get much interest from either a retailer or at an auction.

I am sorry that I can't give you more exciting news.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.