Wine/Piper-Heidsieck Brut Champagne 1961

Question
Piper-Heidsieck
Piper-Heidsieck  
A friend gave me a bottle of the above named champagne that was given to her from an estate.  I live in Indiana. Attached is a picture I just took of the bottle and box in which it came.  I would appreciate any information you can provide, including value. The bottle is unopened and in very good condition...as is the box in which it came. I have tried many internet searches but could not come up with any of these champagnes with a gold label, only red labels.  Hope you can help.  Thank you.

Answer
Hi Anne,

It's always difficult to quote values for champagnes as old as this because possible buyers would be gambling that it's still as enjoyable as it would have been in its youth, although your bottle looks fine.

It would be impossible to replace as '61 Champagnes are long-gone from merchants' shelves so I can't look for a guide price there. I assume you don't plan to sell this generous gift but I'd expect an auction catalog valuation in the $100/150 range and I hope that's a help.

Regarding the label color, P-H definitely used lables like yours later in the '60s but I don't know why they changed - except to assume they did so as part of a redesign exercise intended to refresh the brand.

David
.

Wine

David Ling