Wine/A recent find

Solera 1914 sherry
Solera 1914 sherry  

Don Lorenzo 97 sherry
Don Lorenzo 97 sherry  

I'm not sure if sherry is your field of expertise but I would be grateful if you can help. When going through my late grandfathers things I found a batch of the attached sherry. There are several bottles of each. I can't find much in the way of information when I google them. Could you help identify them?

I appreciate any assistance you can offer, please let me know if you need anymore information or if you have trouble viewing the images.

Kind regards,

Caan Walls

Hi Caan

What fun!  I lived in southern Spain for a few years (many years ago!) and have always loved Sherry.  I can't read all the words on these labels, so I will have to give you what info I can decode from what I can read.  (Some of the words fall off around the edge of the bottle...)

The first one is a solera system Sherry. This means that the first blend of the wine was made in 1914, and then each year a little was removed, and an equal quantity of the next vintage was added to make up the difference.  Over time, this gives you a wine with fascinating character.  I can see the first name on this label (Garcia--a very common name in Spain!) but I can't read the rest of it.  These bottles are likely to still have some interesting character, although they are now quite old, and may be past their prime.  The alcohol levels are much higher than table wine, and that will add to their life expectancy...

The Don Lorenzo should be in even better shape, as the sugar in this wine will have aided in keeping it alive.  But don't expect it to be very sweet now.  Over time, the sugar caramelizes, and this wine will have notes of caramel and even molasses.

The fact that these are both labeled with English labels makes me think that they were probably bottled for an English wine merchant.  This used to be much more common, and created such wines as Harvey's Bristol Cream.  In those days, English wine merchants would travel to Spain and taste from barrel. When they found something they liked, they would ask for it to be shipped to the UK--often blending it with other wines to create their own branded product.

I hope that helps you.  If you can send me the exact words on the label, I might be able to track down the individual producers--but my guess is that they are no longer making wine.  Sherry over the years has consolidated into fewer, larger houses, and many of the smaller producers have simply disappeared.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.