Wine/artificial components in wine

Question
Hello, Paul Wagner

I recently got in the habit of drinking a bottle of wine every weekend. I really enjoy it, especially since it is said that drinking wine in moderation brings health benefits.

I particularly like the "White Zinfandel from the Gallo Family vineyards (California 2012)", but I'm not sure whether it is 100% naturally made, or if it contains artificial ingredients.

So how can I spot a wine with artificial components?

I'd like to drink wines that are naturally made, and avoid those ones with added chemicals.

Thank you

Jake K.

Answer
HI Jake

Anything that is commercially labeled wine can only be made from grape juice.  Yeast is added to ferment the sugar into alcohol...and that's about it.  There are a few things that are used to clarify wines, but they are removed as part of the clarification, so they don't remain in the finished product. The only chemicals allowed are those that are already naturally occuring in grape juice---and those are limited in quantity,

So your Gallo White Zinfandel is grape juice fermented into wine.

You will also fine on some store shelves beverages called flavored wines, or wine with juice added, or wine with...

But if the label just says "wine" it can't have any of those added flavorings or chemioals,

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner