Wine/French & German wines

Question
I have about two dozen French & German wines that have been on a wine rack in my basement for a long time. They are all about 50 years old. The corks are totally dry. One of them is a Chateau Margaux, vintage 1962. Most of the other dates are 1959 or 1957.
I'd like to take my wife on a wonderful anniversary trip (46th) on March 2, 2014.

Answer
Hi David,

I'm not sure you could count on 'a wonderful anniversary trip' from what you've told me so far.

But the Ch Margaux '62 might fetch auction bids well into three figures USD if the bottle is pristine in terms of level, label and capsule - which might be a problem if the cork has dried-out as you say. ('62 is often wrongly overlooked as a vintage as it was a fine one that only fell slightly short of the famous '61.)

I don't think you could hope for much value from the '57s as this was a dreadful vintage and any of its wines will now be decades past their poor best.

The '59s though might have significant value as this vintage is comparable with '62.

Please come back listing what '59s you have, and the condition of the bottles and I'll try to help more.

It's unlikely that any German wines from this period will have retained significant value unless they are top BAs or TBAs from famous growers but that country is beyond my expertise.

David
.

Wine

David Ling