Wine/A great red wine

Hello David,
A very good friend will have his 80th birthday next month. I would love to buy him a really superb claret to help him celebrate the occasion, but I just can't find anywhere that I can buy a single bottle (or two) that would be really good. He cannot drink much, so buying a case is out of the question, but other than that I have no concern about the price. Do you know of anywhere that I can buy a very good claret in the midlands area and could you recommend something that would match such an auspicious occasion?
Yours with many thanks,
Phil Arnold

Hi Phil,

There should be no problem finding what you seek if you are willing to go to a physical shop rather than trying to buy on-line, where many merchants are constrained by their licenses to sell in case quantities only.

I'm sure the long-established and highly reputable firm of Nicholls & Perks, 37 High Street, Stourbridge, Birmingham DY8 1TA, would be one of several near you who would be delighted to help.

If price really isn't a concern (!) they currently list 1982 Ch Lafite at £3000 per bottle inc. VAT and the 2000 vintage at just £1434.00. But their list also includes many fine clarets priced at a fraction of those figures.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.