Wine/Looking for a wine

Hi, I'm trying to find a wine I like and can drink. It has to be non-fizzy, and sweet, without that dry taste most wines have. Can you think of anything? Thanks.

HI Amber

There are lots of choices here.  First of all, let's talk about white wines.  There are lots of different kinds that would meet your criteria.  

Orange Muscat (Quady Essencia is a good one, but any muscat that isn't sparkling will be right up your alley.  
The sweeter styles of Riesling from Germany, NY, and even Michigan and Washington state are delicious.
More expensive dessert wines like Tokaji from Hungary, Sauternes from France, or Muscat from Italy (Try the Ben Rye from Sicily for a real treat)

Red wines are made with both juice and the skins of the grape--and those skins have bitterness.  That's why red whites are usually drier in taste.  But there are a few that you might like/  Sutter Home makes a sweet red wine ( that's what it's called) that is quite yummy and inexpensive (I saw it for about $8 for a magnum bottle) or Red Loonatic from Smoking Loon.  Pricier would be things like Red Conundrum and Apothic.

Hope that helps!

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.