Wine/Moet & Chandon Vintage

Hi Mr.Ling, I am moving and have found a bottle of Moet 1986 vintage champagne in an Alfonse Mucha tin. The tin has been lying at the back of a cupboard for about 9 years in darkness. I can find no other references to this on the internet. Is it still ok to drink?? And would it have any value if I were to sell it?

Many Thanks for your time and consideration.

Kind Regards

Steve Boyes.

Hi Steve,

This is still OK to drink in that it wouldn't do you any harm but I doubt if it will still be very enjoyable as all Champagnes from this poor vintage are now some way into decline after so long.

I don't think it would be worth trying to sell it in London as its potential value would be some way below the minimum thresholds set by the major auction houses. It might (!) just possibly be worth taking to Bigwood's ( in Stratord-Upon-Avon next time you visit the area as they often get good prices for old oddments.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.