I have a Champagne that was made in 1863, by  Henkel, is it of any value?

Hi Kauthara

Thank you for this question.  Henkel is a well-known producer of sparking wine, but those wines are not known to age for long periods of time. Even the best begin to show their age after twenty years or so---and this one could be 100 years older than that!

I am afraid it has no charm left in the bottle, and no value to connoisseurs.  You might contact Henkel directly, to see if they are interested in the bottle as a historic curiosity. But I also think it is possible that the date on the bottle is the date of a major award that they won--and perhaps not the vintage date of the bottle.  They would know.

Hope that helps.  I am sorry that I don't have more exciting news for you.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.