Wine/1984 5 Liter Bottle

Question
I received a wooden boxed bottle of 1984 wine in 1989. It is marked Baron Philippe de Rothschild Mouton-Cadet Bordeaux and listed as a "Red Bordeaux Table Wine". It has been in the wooden box, either in my basement or office, for all of this time.

What are the chances of it tasting good when finally opened?
Is it worth anything, not that I would sell it having kept it so long.

Thanks.

Answer
Jeff,

Although Mouton-Cadet is a reasonably good quality value Bordeaux red, it's not likely that your bottle is still good. It's a wine that is meant to be consumed with 2-5 years of the vintage (perhaps a few years long in a 5 liter bottle) which puts it way past its prime. The other problem you have, and this means that you won't find any buyers in the secondary market; 1984 was a very poor vintage in Bordeaux. Sorry.  

Wine

Joshua Farrell