Wine/Age and value of wine in carriage bottle

Carriage lamp
Carriage lamp  
Hi , was hoping to get ur thoughts on this wine and bottle . Can and should it b consumed

Hi Ken,

Barsottini are well-known for their molded glass wine bottles in a huge range of fancy and sometimes very decorative styles. However I'm afraid there's no incentive for them to fill them with anything but the cheapest wine they can find as any cost in that area hits their profit margin selling them as decorative souvenirs.

I can't tell you the age of your lamp, nor if it's a rare version, but I can say the wine was never intended for drinking!

It has no value in the USA as it wouldn't be lawful for you to sell liquor privately and no auctioneer or merchant would accept it. (Ebay would probably accept it you emptied it and offered it as 'a decorative empty Barsottini bottle in the form of a lamp' but you'd run the risk of damaging it if you tried to remove the stopper. And I doubt if bids would reach a significant figure.)

Sorry but I'd just keep it on display as a conversation piece.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.