Wine/American portwine

Hello Paul Wagner!

Just saw your answer about Prager Port and I wondered how they can call it "Port"? I thought it was restricted to wine made in the Duoro Valley in Portugal (Oporto)?

Or do they call it - like Spanish Cava: Made by the Champagne method - "Made by the port method"?

all the best

Hi Rene

It's a long story.  The original treaty to protect such names was signed right after World War I, and the US was in the middle of Prohibition.  Since commercial alcohol production was illegal in the USA, we didn't both to sign treaty.

Over the years, such names have become commonly accepted here in the US, and actually defended in court with some very misguided regulations.  

We are now moving in the right direction, but some producers are still handing on to the old terms, and seemingly don't care about either international law or their own ethics.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.