Wine/Grandfather port

Could you please tell me what a bottle of Penfolds Grandfather Port Vintage 1945 Bin 56 bottled 21/7/13 would be worth.  The bottle has a slight leak in the cork. Thank you

Hi Anette

I have to admit I am a bit confused by this question.  Does it really say that it was bottled on 21/7/13?---that would be about a month from now!  

I suspect that it is a typo somewhere.  The wine is lovely stuff, but on older wines the storage conditions and cork are critical to value.  The fact that this one is leaking means that it won't have as much appeal to buyers.  

If it were mine, I would open it up and drink it on a special occasion, and enjoy a delicious wine.  

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.