Wine/Krug Champagne Reims

Question
Hi David,

I have a bottle of Krug private cuvee 1945 extra sec. Can you give a possible valuation, please?

John
UK

Answer
Hi John,

It would be impossible for me to value this with any accuracy as there are too many factors to take into account:

1: Champagnes of this age are a specialist, collectors' market so the fact that I don't think another bottle is available to buy anywhere in the world would be a big plus.

2: Collectors seek pristine bottles of impeccable provenance so minuses would be scored if the bottle isn't perfect in terms of colour, label, level and capsule - and if you lack documentary evidence of the bottle's history and storage conditions.

3: Demand is usually higher for the very dry brut style, rather than the sweeter extra sec.

4: Krug has an appeal that may override some minuses to enthusiasts seeking to fill gaps in their collections.

I suggest you ask a specialist wine auctioneer such as J Straker Chadwick's in Abergavenny (http://www.strakerchadwick.co.uk/) to appraise this professionally next time they have someone in your area. (Don't be surprised by any figure they suggest between nil and several hundred GBP!)

David
.

Wine

David Ling