Wine/extra fine brandy

i have an unopened bottle of "rothschild maison fondee en 1875 extra fine brandy napoleon les monopoles alfred rothschild bordeaux france v.s.o.p."  that what it says from top to bottom on front label.. it has a small circle seal that says rothschild anniversaire monopole reserve on it also.. could you tell me if this is worth anything?

Hi Anthony,

'Brandy' covers all forms of spirit distilled from grape juice and is at a quality level below the first grade, which always use the name of the demarcated region of production such as Cognac and Armagnac - much sought after by enthusiasts who feel the much higher price is justified.

Thus I'm afraid your bottle wouldn't be easy to sell as I doubt if any auction house or merchant would accept a single bottle as the potential sale value probably wouldn't reach their minimum thresholds. (And, of course, it wouldn't be lawful for you to seek a buyer privately.)

I'd use it as the base for a Sidecar or other cocktail or in the kitchen - to boost a sauce or fruit cocktail or in flambé dishes.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.