Wine/Taittinger Rose 1979 Champagne

Hi, I have a question about a bottle of Taittinger Rose we have in the family. It is a 750ml bottle, has a good level, the label is in good condition. The color of the Champagne is strange to me though, looking through the green glass it seems it has a reddish brown color with some sediment or particles floating around in it. It is in what I would consider acceptable condition cosmetically, I'm just unsure of the color. I don't know this champagne's history, but was wondering if you could give a price estimate of any kind.

Hi Stephanie,

I don't think you'd be able to sell this lawfully as it's very old for a rosÚ, which many people prefer to drink while they retain the freshness the maker intended; and buyers would shy away from one with 'a reddish brown color with some sediment or particles floating around in it'.

Thus I can't see any value remaining, sorry!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.