Wine/Tytell Europa

I am in possession of a 1964 St Emilion red Bordeaux .  It was found in a basement and I'm not sure under the proper conditions.  Is it still drinkable, or better left corked. Value?iw

Hi Eleanor

We know the wines of St. Emilion well, as we represent them in the US.  You have to understand that there are at least two levels of quality there:  the Grands Crus, which are the top properties, with powerful and often long-lived wines, and the rest of the wines, which are pleasant to drink when young but are not made to age beyond a few years after the vintage.

Yours, I am sorry to say, falls into the latter category.  But even the best St. Emilions were challenged in 1964, and so I think it is safe to say that this wine is over the hill. It won't hurt you, but it won't offer much pleasure, either.

And it won't have any value on the open market.

I am sorry that I can't give you better news.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.