Wine/Tytell Europa

Question
I am in possession of a 1964 St Emilion red Bordeaux .  It was found in a basement and I'm not sure under the proper conditions.  Is it still drinkable, or better left corked. Value?iw

Answer
Hi Eleanor

We know the wines of St. Emilion well, as we represent them in the US.  You have to understand that there are at least two levels of quality there:  the Grands Crus, which are the top properties, with powerful and often long-lived wines, and the rest of the wines, which are pleasant to drink when young but are not made to age beyond a few years after the vintage.

Yours, I am sorry to say, falls into the latter category.  But even the best St. Emilions were challenged in 1964, and so I think it is safe to say that this wine is over the hill. It won't hurt you, but it won't offer much pleasure, either.

And it won't have any value on the open market.

I am sorry that I can't give you better news.

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner