Wine/Value

Question
QUESTION: Hello, i have a bottle of Dom Perignon and the vintage is 1929.  it was left to me a few years ago and was wondering the worth of this bottle.  This bottle is unopened but is undrinkable, it looks like it's separated.  the cork and wrap is in tact and the label is slightly faded but still clear as to what it says.  Any help would be great.

Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Josh,

This might be of historic interest to DP enthusiasts, even in the condition you describe, but it would need professional appraisal by a specialist wine auctioneer to be sure.

I can't suggest anyone who might do that for you without knowing where you are as there'd be no point in me suggesting an auction house in NYC if you live in California! So please come back telling me where you live and/or which major city would be easiest for you to visit and I'll try to help more.

David
.

QUESTION: Thank you for responding so quickly. I live in Southern California, Orange County. LA is an hour depending on traffic same for San Diego.

Answer
Hi Josh,

Most of the Californian wine auctioneers are in the San Francisco area but Christies in LA might be willing to take a look at your bottle next time they have a free valuation day.

They're at 360 North Camden Drive, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA 90210 (Tel: +1 310 385 2600).

Be aware though that they are a high-end international firm that's unlikely to accept it for one of their sales so they may be reluctant to help with this.

My suggestion as a fall-back would be the on-line auctioneers Wine Commune (http://www.winecommune.com/) who serve private vendors via consignees in Oakland.

Good luck!

David
.

Wine

David Ling