Wine/Value if genuine

Question
pic of bottle
pic of bottle  
Hello David
Recently purchased 2 bottles of vintage wine [very cheaply] from an auction house, one a 1979 belgrave which would appear to retail at £25 but the other is a mystery.
It is a 1962 Chateau Bellefond-Belcier Saint Emilion
info on label 'Appellation Saint-Emilion controlee' 'A Lalande & co'
and 'negociants a Bordeaux[Gironde]
Have looked for information on the internet but with not much luck.
Do you think its Genuine and if yes does it have any value?
As i stated previously, i purchased them very cheaply so its no dig deal if not worth a lot

With many thanks.

Dave

Answer
Hi Dave,

I hope you had fun at the auction because it's difficult to see any value in what you bought.

The Belgrave is from a very poor vintage and is decades past it's poor best.

I think the Bellefond-Belcier will be genuine - but it's a BOB (Buyers Own Brand) that was created to enhance the perceived value of a merchant blend of generic St-E by approximating the name of the Saint Emilion Grand Cru Classé Ch. Bellefont-Belcier (NB spelling!).

This one is from a better vintage and may have been good value up to around 1968 if priced below £10 at today's prices but it is worthless now.

I could rant for pages on the, legal, deception perpetrated by producers who invent fancy names for their blends and I hope international trade authorities will outlaw them soon, in the same way that they have banned nonsenses like Californian Chablis.

David
.

Wine

David Ling