Wine/vintage wine

hello, i have a bottle of marques de riscal riserva wine dated 1955,
the full title on the label is:- herederos del marques de riscal, elciego(alva)1955. i just wondered what value there is on this wine? the label is a little stained, but still readable, any help on this would be appreciated.
thanks mr s bowman

Hi Scott,

I'm afraid this is now very old, even for a good-quality Rioja, so it's difficult to see significant value remaining. (Bear in mind that any auctioneer who would accept a single bottle of such a low potential value will still need to deduct his commission - which would leave you with peanuts!)

I'd drink it for the experience, but with something else on stand-by in case you don't want to finish it.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.