Wine/Argentine Trumpeter

I have a bottle of 1964 Argentine Trumpeter Cabernet Sauvignon.  I wanted to know if it was any good or what should I do with it?

Hi Jean,

I don't know this one personally but recent vintages have gained positive reviews from American wine magazines so this may have been a good buy at the time.

The downside is that the reviews I've seen suggest that the wine is at its best around 3-4 years after the vintage so I'm afraid your bottle will have been in decline since around 1969. Which means there is virtually no chance that it will still be drinkable several decades later.

It would be impossible to sell lawfully, and the bottle is thus worthless, so your only realistic option would be to dump it. (It wouldn't do you any harm if you wanted to taste it en route to the tip but I'd be astonished if you wanted to finish the bottle.)

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.