Wine/too much humidity in wine cave

Dear Antonio,
I am assisting the CEO of a prominent corporation who has a home in France. He has an extensive wine cellar with well over 1000 bottles. This cellar, is actually an old cave which remains a perfect temperature but due to its proximity to a passing stream, has humidity problems. He has the opposite problem of most wine collectors. He has too much humidity.
Recently, while traveling his de-humidifier crapped out. He lost several very fine bottles due to the excessive moisture. I have an engineering background and know that there must be a system that could protect his fragile wines.
Here is his desire;
1.   Install a water collection system that can be pumped out of the cellar. Seems like a descent sump pump could handle that, as unobtrusive as possible.
2.   Install a humidistat that can be monitored remotely via his smart phone. He would also like to be able to control the humidity remotely.
3.   He would love to have a humidity alarm that would be picked up on his phone.
4.   Niceties that would make him happy; cameras connected to his WiFi for remote viewing and light controls.
5.   Bottom line; he would love to pick up his phone, open an app, and know instantly that his collection is safe.
Have you heard of such a system or will I need to piece together all the component parts? Thanks for any help you can give me.
  Sincerely, Dick Schlueter

Hi Richard,

This is a tough one to tackle. The only system I know that has webcontrolled dehumidification is for indoor pools by Seresco: WebSentry app exists for the iphone. Check their webpage at:

Other than that, you would have to build a system component by component. Some companies could assist you with the project. One of the best engineers I know in France for environmental control of wine buildings is Jean-Louis Bouillet of Bordeaux. Others are:
Aura Dynamics:
Wine Cellar Designs:

For remote control, CAS is a good company:

For dehumidifiers, some solutions are:

I hope this helped.

Good luck.

Antonio Rocha Graša

Viticulture issues, enology / winemaking issues. Wine regions of the world, with specialisation in the wines of Portugal, including Port. Tasting and sensory analysis, chemical analysis and the relation between both. Wine industry and wine economics (BUT NOT PRICES OF WINES). Sources of information regarding any aspect of wine. The human element of the wine industry and the integration of all aspects and sciences that concur to make a wine. Terroir.

I have been a winemaker for 20 years. I am also in charge of the R&D department of the largest wine company in Portugal.

Sogrape Vinhos S.A. ADVID (Association for the Development of Viticulture in Douro)

Degree in Enology - UTAD, Vila Real, Portugal