Wine/Lafite Rothschild Armagnac

Question
Dear Paul,

I recently received a 1.75 liter (large) bottle of Armagnac Vieille Reserve Selectionne par Lafite Rothschild. The label also has on it 43% Vol and the Seagram Chateau & Estate logo. The cork is sealed with black wax.

I assume the brandy inside is a blend, but wonder how long the youngest spirit was aged in cask. Is there anyway to find out?  Would you happen to know? Would this be considered an X.O., Hors d'age?

I tried to do some research on the web and came across your previous replies to questions regarding this armagnac. There is very little else in terms of information on this bottle. Many thanks for your reply.

Best,
-David

Answer
Hi David

Thanks for the question, and the kind words.  I'll try to help you out a bit here, but it is no coincidence that there is little information about this product in circulation.  The selling point of this lovely Armagnac is the connection with Lafite Rothschild...not the blend, the aging, or anything else.  And that's why they don't talk about that other stuff.

But I did find a source in Germany who does explain that it is a blend of lots from 25 to 60 years old.  That puts it well past the guidelines for XO...and into a pretty rarified category.  

Which is one of the reasons it is so pricey!

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Wine

Paul Wagner