A friend near the city of Sparta, Greece, has an unopened bottle of Metaxa 7-star labeled as 1915 vintage.   Because all Greeks believe they produce the best of everything, he is convinced that this bottle has significant commercial value.  Would you recommend he expend much effort attempting to convert this family hand-me-down into a fortune?  Having tasted Metaxa, I don't - but if I knew for sure I wouldn't be asking you. I don't have a picture, and I'm not asking for any sort of appraisal or advice on how to sell it, just your general opinion as to the relative marketability of such an item.  Thank you in advance for that.

Hi Anthony,

Metaxa is a Greek brandy made by diluting an aged cask strength distilled spirit with muscat wine and a recipe of botanicals including anise and rose petals.

Thus I think of it as a liqueur, rather than a brandy and I share your opinion I'm afraid.

It is popular with people who prefer its sweetness to the classic dry brandies from Cognac and Armagnac that aren't adulterated/improved with additions. (But that might be influenced by my abiding loathing of the muscat grape, which makes good raisins but has no place in wine making, IMHO!)

But some people like Southern Comfort so your friend is just as right to like Metaxa if it's to his taste!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.