Wine/Valuation on a bottle of champagne

How much would a a bottle of Dom perignon vintage 1996 sealed in a original case fetch

Hi Wesley

This is lovely wine, and it should be at its peak right now.  But with any wine this old, the storage conditions are going to have a huge amount to say about how much it is worth.  If this were a bottle that had been stored at the winery for the past twenty years, it might sell for 200 pounds or so.  But from a private individual, the price is going to be lower---maybe by as much as half.

The fact that it is in its original case is nice--but the real question is whether it got too warm at some point---in that case, the wine would be ruined, and not worth much at all.  And as a private person, you can't verify that very well.

If it were mine, I would save it for a special occasion in the next year or two, and share it with a good friend or two.

Hope that helps.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.