Wine/Vintage Port

Dear David,

I have in my possession two unopened cases of 1977 Offley Boa Vista Vintage Port. I bought them from Peatling and Cawdron in Bury St Edmunds in the early 80's as an investment. One case for me and one for my daughter. Greene King, the brewer owned Peatling's at that time and it was stored in their cellers until recently when Peatling's moved totally away from Greene Kings and I retrieved the cases. They have since been stored at home in a cool well insulated brick storage area built under the stairs of our old house.
My daughter and now son in law have recently adopted a little boy, our Grandson and every penny counts and has asked me how to dispose of her case. Searching around I found your name, are you still in "Port Circles" and are you able to offer any advice.
Yours with kind regards,
Nicholas Challacombe.
P.S. The cases not only have the date etc for the Port embossed on them but the have G.K. Ltd on them as provenance.
I live in Bury St Edmunds the home of Greene King and Peatlings.

Hi Nicholas,

Offley '77 is currently on offer from retailers at around the £50 mark per bottle, plus VAT, so I think you could hope for bids at auction in the £400/500 range per case as you will obviously be selling VAT and duty paid and can show excellent provenance. (Less commission of course.)

I suggest you start by asking Private Cellar in Newmarket ( if they'd be interested in selling these OWCs on your behalf, what offers they could anticipate and what commission they would deduct.

Alternatively, I'm sure J Straker Chadwick's ( would be happy to call by appointment next time they have an appraiser in your area to discuss entering them into one of their fine wine auctions.

Be aware though that Offley Ports don't fetch prices in the Taylor/Fonseca/Warre league so please don't be too optimistic!

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.