Wine/1964 Bordeaux Rouge Superieur

Produce of France
Produce of France  
Hi David.  

Please see the picture below of the 1964 Bordeaux Rouge Superieur Table Wine - shipped by Auteuil Wine Merchants and Selected by Frank Packard.  

We opened this wine over the weekend and drank it - did I just drink the family's inheritance or was this considered a bottle with low or no value?

The cork fell apart when we tried to open it, but the wine was a full body Bordeaux.  I was VERY surprised that this wine my father purchased in New Jersey in the mid-1960's had not turned to vinegar.  Is it unusual that a bottle of "cheap red wine" is still drinkable 49 years later?

Thank you.

Hi Kathy,

You were very fortunate to find pleasure from such an old bottle of very basic Bordeaux, although 1964 was a very good vintage. Well done, and I hope your luck holds if you find another one!

It was effectively worthless as it would only be lawful for you to sell it to a merchant or via an auction house - and none would make an offer or accept such an old bottle of such low potential value.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.