Wine/1979 A. Charbaut & Fils Certificate Champagne Rose

Hi, I have a 1.5 litre 1979 A. Charbaut & Fils Certificate limited edition Champagne Rose (Brut Epernay).
It comes in the original wooden box. It also has the plastic wrapping around it altho thats a bit perished.
There is also a little gold card in the box with instructions on how to receive a signed certificate (which I never requested)
Is it any good to drink and could it fetch a few pounds?

Hi Jarrod,

This dates from the period before the then family-owned makers were acquired by Vranken-Pomery and is interesting to me personally as I enjoyed a similar bottle in around 1982 in the company of Guy Charbaut. But I'm afraid it is very old indeed now for a rosÚ as these are always at their best when young, IMHO.

Thus it's difficult to see significant value remaining after so long, although you could ask a local auctioneer if they'd accept it and what bids they could anticipate.

I doubt if it would offer the same pleasure as I had from this when young but it won't do you any harm if you want to try it for the experience.

David Ling

I have 40 year`s experience tasting, collecting and enjoying wines as an amateur enthusiast. Bordeaux and Port are my particular loves and I regularly buy and sell at auction. I have a good library and frequently participate in on-line discussions. I can only help with valuations, buying or selling if you tell me where you live as there are many variations around the world.

I would not feel confident answering questions on German wines or those of the USA, South Africa or Australia. But please check my prestige rating and browse "Browse Past Answers" at the top of this page to see if I'm the one you want to help on everything else! (PLEASE don't forget to tell me where you are if you want my estimation of value or help buying or selling!)

I also participate regularly on several other discussion groups.