Wine/1984 Opus One

I have a 1984 Opus One that I would like to sell. I live in Sonoma County, Santa Rosa. Can you suggest a place to sell to ?

Hi Erin

It's a bit complicated.  It is illegal for private individuals to sell wine or other alcoholic beverages.  You have to go through a licensed retailer.

So one option is to contact a local retailer in Sonoma or Napa to see if they want to buy it (or trade other wine for it) from you.  Of course, they would only pay you about 50-65% of the retail value, because they will want to make a profit it when they sell it. Check with Dean and Delucca, or the Bottle Barn.

You could also try an auction house that sells wine.  There are a fewn but they usually won't sell a single bottle--because it's hard for them to guarantee good storage conditions for a single bottle from an unknown collector.  These same caveats apply for an on-line auction site like or other auction house on-line.

On e-bay you might sell it--but you have to specify that you are only selling it as a collectible bottle--contents not for consumption--to avoid the law this way. You won't get full value there either.

Finally, you can try to sell (or trade it) it to a restaurant you like--maybe they'll givee your a credit. For a nice dinner or two...

If it were mine, I would drink it on a special occasion, or give it to someone who really loves fine Napa wine...

I'm sorry this is so hard--the laws make it hard to make a lot of money for wine collectors.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.