Wine/Retail Wine Shop

Cliff wrote at 2013-11-30 21:14:55
Hi Heather,

I am a wine retailer and there is a lot that goes into the decisions made to become a successful wine retailer.  It is very detailed, but the ABC as Paul says is a very good place to start for LEGAL reasons.  After this LOCATION is #1!  Keeping your overhead to a minimum is really huge.  Having a pretty large storage facility for the ability to buy products at a lower price than your competitors is key.  Keeping an eye on your local competitions' prices will tell you whether you will be able to make a profit where you are planning your store.  Do not have heavy expectations.  The retail business is very difficult to get into because you have to pay for your entire inventory anywhere between COD and 90 days from receipt.  The profit margins are low and we are a volume based Industry at the retail level.  Hiring reliable, hard working friendly but ID educated staff is also very important.  If you should have any further questions feel free to respond. Cliff

Paul Wagner

Wines of the world, wine a food matching, wine and food service questions. I currently teach Wine courses at Napa Valley College, am an international wine judge, written many articles for publication, and have been a guest speaker at way too many wine conferences to remember. 25 years in the business. With Liz Thach and Janeen Olsen, I authored the definitive book on wine marketing: Wine Marketing & Sales, Strategies for a Saturated Market by The Wine Appreciation Guild, which won the Gourmand International Award in 2008 for the best wine book for professionals! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about wine and food on the air.

30 years in the business.

Society of Wine Educators, Academy of Wine Communications, American Wine Society

Vineyard and Winery Management Magazine, Fine Wine Journal, les Amis du Vin Journal, Society of Wine Educators Journal, and more.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the last twenty years.

Spanish National Wine Fair: A lifetime dedicated to wine award. Espaderino della Castelania di Soave in Italy.

Wineries include Caymus, Wente, Parducci, Shannon Ridge, Paul Dolan Wines, Vigilance, and others. Wine regions include the Union des Grand Crus de Borcdeaux, Union des Grands Crus de St. Emilion, Consorzio di Chianti CLassico, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Consorzio di Franciacorta, Rioja Alavesa, and others.